Food in the Bio-based Economy – Sustainable Provision and Access
27 – 29 May 2015
Wageningen, the Netherlands
Call for papers
• The conference program includes various contributed paper sessions.
• Participants who would like to present a paper are invited to submit an extended abstract (around 1000 words) before January 15, 2015.
• Authors of accepted abstracts will be notified by March 1, 2015.
• The full paper submission and registration deadline is April 15, 2015.
• Details on abstract and paper submission can be found on the conference website
Confirmed Keynote Speakers
• Jutta Roosen, Technische Universität München, Germany
• Brian Wright, University of California, Berkeley, USA
• Matin Qaim, University of Göttingen, Germany
• Nick Hanley, University of St. Andrews, United Kingdom
We invite submissions on the following topics but not limited to:
• Sustainable intensification and the bio-economy
• Measurement of the bio-economy
• Innovation and technology transfer
• Climate change impacts
• Water management and soil conservation
• Food and fuel competition
• Consumer attitudes and behavior
• Regulations and policies
• Distribution, trade and market access
• Political economy of food supply
Theme and scope
Addressing global challenges such as climate change, population growth and particularly the increase in food demand involves biological sciences. This includes industrial biotechnology and agriculture technologies that increase efficiency and environmental sustainability in food production, and provide alternative sources for energy supply and biological solutions to improve health outcomes. The emerging bio-economy will be influenced by public policies, regulations, consumer attitudes and societal responses in general. Furthermore, resources are not equally distributed and accessible. Enhancing global food security remains a big challenge. Contrasting problems exist where in one part of the world we observe food waste and obesity, while poverty and undernourishment in other parts. The conference focuses on the economic analysis of the relevant issues related to the sustainable food provision and access in the emerging bio-based Economy.
This conference aims at bringing together frontier economic research on sustainable food production and consumption in the bio-based economy at local, regional and (inter)national levels. We invite theoretical and empirical contributions from different fields of economics that address the specific objectives of the conference.
Specific objectives of this conference are to:
• contribute to the ongoing debate on global food security in the bio-based economy
• generate insight in the development of the bio-based economy
• bring together economists interested in research on sustainable food provision and access at multiple levels
• strengthen the link between economic theory and empirical work on sustainable food production
A special issue of NJAS (http://www.journals.elsevier.com/njas-wageningen-journal-of-life-sciences/)- Wageningen Journal of Life Sciences on the conference theme will be published under the Guest Editorship of the conference organizing committee.
Please send your extended abstract of max 1000 words firstname.lastname@example.org
Venue + hotel rooms
Hotel de Wageningsche Berg
Generaal Foulkesweg 96
NL-6703 DS Wageningen
To register please fill in the registration form on the website(http://www.wageningenur.nl/en/activity/foodconference.htm)
The fees are including drinks, snacks, lunches, a reception and a conference dinner, but excluding travel and hotel costs.
• €275 - regular conference fee
• €175 - PhD student fee
The amount has to be paid before April 15, 2015.
For further information check our website.(http://www.wageningenur.nl/en/activity/foodconference.htm)
The organising committee
• Dr. Liesbeth Dries (http://www.wageningenur.nl/en/Persons/dr.-LKE-Liesbeth-Dries.htm)
• Dr. Jeroen Klomp and consumption (http://www.wageningenur.nl/en/Persons/Jeroen-dr.-JG-Jeroen-Klomp.htm)
• Dr. Johan van Ophem (http://www.wageningenur.nl/en/Persons/dr.-JAC-Johan-van-Ophem.htm)
• Language Dr. Xueqin Zhu (http://www.wageningenur.nl/en/Persons/Xueqin-Zhu.htm)
• Ms. Karen van der Heide (http://www.wageningenur.nl/en/Persons/KJ-Karen-van-der-Heide.htm)
• Ms. Dineke Wemmenhove (http://www.wageningenur.nl/en/Persons/D-Dineke-Wemmenhove.htm)
The official language of the conference is English.